The following item from the Windhoek paper New Era was seen on
AllAfrica.com at http://allafrica.com/stories/200606051335.html . Note
collaboration between a bank and a local publisher.  DZO

Namibia: Afrikaans Books for Primary Schools

New Era (Windhoek)
http://www.newera.com.na/
June 5, 2006
Posted to the web June 5, 2006

Frederick Philander
Windhoek

Last week the Bank Windhoek Social Investment Fund announced its
continued investment in the education of Namibia's youth with the
sponsorship of the development and printing of Afrikaans textbooks for
Grade 4 pupils, published by Pollination Publishers.

"Bank Windhoek is sponsoring the printing of this truly Namibian
Afrikaans textbook with an amount of N$25 000. This enables
Pollination Publishers to, in return, donate a number of handbooks to
mostly marginalized schools who would not have been able to purchase
these books otherwise," says a statement from the commercial bank.

The statement furthers says: "As a truly Namibian bank we are proud to
be associated with this truly Namibian publishing company and of our
investment in the education of our youth", said Marlize Horn, Senior
Manager of Marketing and Corporate Communication Services at Bank
Windhoek.

Pollination Publishers is the only Namibian publisher without any
international ties. All their books are locally written and produced
and include Namibian stories and illustrations. The range of handbooks
published by Pollination Publishers covers the entire Namibian syllabus.

"Bank Windhoek have indeed promoted this wonderful indigenous language
and at the same time helped a small entrepreneur to break into a
highly competitive and aggressive publishing market. Bank Windhoek is
really living up to their slogan, 'Together We Do Better", said Inger
Preis of Pollination Publishers.

Since 2001, the Bank Windhoek Social Investment Fund has invested more
than

N$205 000 in the printing of the following handbooks published by
Pollination Publishers and has distributed thousands of these
handbooks to marginalized schools:

Previously published school books:

2001: "Afrikaans in Namibië" - Grade 5

2002: "Afrikaans in Namibië" - Grade 6