Fwd from lgpolicy-list...

Blueprint Underway For Nigerian Language Policy
By Innocent Oweh, Correspondent, Abuja
http://independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=17685&print=
1

Efforts to save Nigerian Languages from extinction and foster a deep sense
of nationality may compel the Nigerian Educational Research and Development
Council (NERDC) to develop a stringent language policy for Nigerians. Survey
by NERDC revealed that Nigeria has over 500 languages but does not have an
explicit language policy besides mere statement, none of which has been
adopted as a national language. The development led to the inauguration of a
technical committee on the development of a national language policy
recently in Sheda, Abuja, by the Executive Secretary of NERDC, Godswill
Obioma.

He noted that unless drastic measures are taken to preserve and promote
them, all Nigerian languages might be abandoned in favour of English in the
next century.  Obioma said development of a national language policy would
accord the country greater recognition, bring about unprecedented growth as
well as protect and promote the various languages that are indigenous to
Nigeria. "Nigeria does not have an explicit language policy, but only
statements. In a recent language survey carried out by NERDC, it was noted
that Nigeria has 500 languages but none of these has been adopted as a
national language.

"Some Nigerians abandoned their own languages in favour of those that are
more useful to them and some members of the elite group do not speak their
mother tongue to their children, there by resulting in children speaking
only English," he lamented.

He remarked that existing policies have failed to address urgent need to
develop and preserve all Nigerian languages, arguing that there is a need
for a policy that will cater for Nigerian languages, because presently no
Nigerian language is national.

"We don't want our languages endangered. They are about to die. The
government must not allow any Nigerian language to die. This is the essence
of this exercise. "There are12 national languages in South Africa.

The issue is not about one single language but the attempt to have a policy.
In Indonesia, they have 750 languages spoken by communities but they have
one national language for diplomacy and education businesses. They teach
them with that. "Papua Guinea has about 800 languages but adopted 400 to
encourage their growth and development.

We have 500 languages but we need now ask ourselves what will be the focus
of Nigeria? Which of them do we adopt? Can we evolve one so that we can
cohere and understand ourselves as done in other developed climes?" Obioma
asked.  He said students could be taught in Nigerian languages when the
policy is adopted. The committee is expected to submit the blueprint in
three weeks.

--
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section 107, this

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: