Matt, my intent is not to interfere in your debate, but we are all reading it.
As such, I'd like to comment:

I don' t think we should be spending our time engaging in elementary arguments.
For example, I think the notion probably invalid that a thermometer (as we know
it today) may be conscious. I'm proposing we discipline ourselves to move
forward in a constructivist approach.

For example. Why can't this forum simply accept that in a neural system exists
tacit and explicit knowledge, where tacit knowledge may, or may not be
available for recall? Bringing us to the point of instinct versus learning,
where Karl Mannheim (1928 <== for real) contended how learning (the natural
quest for applied knowledge and social competition) is a function of human
instinct and part of the innate system of survival.

For the most part, consciousness-in-general is an outcome of a neural
structure, and by all accounts specifically located within the overall brain
structure to connect to all centres of human brain functioning. Until it is
explicitly active via external human functioning (reasoning and logic in
action), it resembles as an (internal) explicit system of potential
intelligence.

As a systems person, I understand consciousness to primarily exist in 3
different states, namely: Un-consciousness (no testable awareness),
Sub-consciousness (testable, tacit awareness), and Consciousness (testable
tacit and explicit awareness). It seems logical that a hyper-consciousness
state should exist as well.

For the sake of this debate, I would like to equate the unconscious and
sub-consciousness states to including the involuntary human systems, such as
the auto-immune system, breathing, organ functionality, and overall sensorial
system. The consciousness state; as being evidencially in action for everyday,
normal functionality within society.

As for the hyper-consciousness state, which may be induced via the
consciousness state - as a super-consciousness state - it seemingly raises the
brain to a level of hierarchical criticality and priority where it may assume
dominant control over the complete human system.

Having said all that, the debate is apparently being broadened to consider the
potential for an automatic connectedness to the universe around the human
brain. Science now accepts that such connectedness exists, as if the universe
we are referring to is naturally part of us and connected to our DNA (via
cells) and innate to our brains (and I'm not including all potential universes
here, but one specifically only).

To further our understanding, we may elect to refer to such a connection (or
system) as a universal communications protocol (for our collective universe as
we know it only). I contend it would be of interest to understand how logically
the consciousness and hyper-consciousness, as a collective virtual system of
superposition consciousness, may operate.

This is a point of significant interest. With regards systems design, it would
logically place such a communication subsystem for the homo sapiens (including
all protocols) at the apex of the overall, systems hierarchy.

Again, this has a certain ring of truth to it. However, could we design a
scientific test for this hypothesis?

However, we should be able to translate reasoning from the abstract to the more
literal. Meaning, we should be able to position this understanding within the
AGI-architectural blueprint. That is the translator function I referred to in a
prior message.

Do we have enough knowledge to do so on this forum?

Rob