Conscious experience - the soul or whatever it is - is not relevant to
contemporary computer science. I do not agree with the dismissal of
that feeling of experience either. As I told Marvin Minsky I do agree
that whatever conscious experience is it probably has the potential to
be explained by science one day, but right now it is a mystery.

There are some complications of the experience of our existence, and
those complications may be explained by the complex processes of mind.
Since we can think we can think about the experience of life and
interweave the strands of the experience of our existence. But that
does not mean that the essential experience can be explained by
complicated thinking or some other dismissive denial. The processes of
higher intelligence may shed light on the complexity problem but the
experience of consciousness is irrelevant to AI because it is not
strictly a computational thing. It cannot be reduced by our theories
of mind or life which are currently available and which are certainly
not part of computer science.
Jim Bromer