That is dismissive. You are dismissing the very idea that there may be
more to the experience of consciousness than contemporary science can
explain. As I mentioned before, Marvin Minsky (a well known
self-proclaimed atheist) and I agreed that the mystery of conscious
will be explained by science one day. I would restate that as it
probably will be explained by science one day. Education may make you
aware of the question but it does not require conditioning.. I
appreciate the fact that you were honest about this because this
explains it to me. I can never understand how people who understand
what I am trying to get at can deny something that seems so
fundamentally real. And here it is. You are in philosophical denial of
your own experience. It is like psychological denial of a feeling, but
in this case it is more of a philosophical thing. When someone is in
denial about something you can expect a range of behaviors from him.
Most of them are a kind of erratic jag when he gets close to
recognizing the problem and he tries to fight it off.
Incidentally, I appreciate the idea that your own feelings may
condition you. I used to argue with quasi-behaviorists about that. By
using our imagination and memories we can condition ourselves in all
sorts of ways (both good and mal-adaptive). That is an opinion that I
think is very important to AGI. And disturbing.
Jim Bromer