I think an ad-hoc logic would be something like the logic of all computer
programs. No question that a computer program has something to do with
logic, but a generalization of the logic of all programs would involve
something more of an informal logic. You can begin to develop a
systems-analysis approach that might hope to attain the logic of any
possible computer program but to actually try to make it applicable to any
possible computer program would make it an unwieldy and impossible task. So
in the sense that you have to use ad-hoc methods to begin to understand all
the possible logical variations and special cases of a single program, it
seems to me that the term "ad-hoc logic" makes some sense. It is like the
paradigm of all paradigms. It is possible to conceive that as an
unattainable ideal, but it would only be possible to make some rough
sketches of what a paradigm of all paradigms might look like. This means
these ideas cannot be thoroughly formalized; they would have to be
developed on an ad-hoc basis knowing that definition might prove
insufficient in some ways and that they would have to be modified for some
'special' cases that might become apparent at some time in the future.
Jim Bromer