On Tuesday, October 29, 2019, at 3:06 PM, immortal.discoveries wrote:
> If we apply Lossy Compression on a text file that contains the string
> "2+2=4", it results in missing data because the new data is smaller in size
> (because of compression).

You are assuming something about the observer when you assume they will compute
"2+2=4". Another observer might compute "2+2=0" for example the group of
integers modulo 4 which is a much smaller symbol space.

A subset of all lossy compressors compressing on particularly structured data
won’t discard any but still compress into smaller strings so the result is a
lossless compression, or, a losslesslossyness.

In addition, some (if not all?) lossless compressors on particular data, can
only expand. What is important then is a Compressor Selection Criteria.