You'll avoid most of the amateur pitfalls by following this simple
procedure:

1) Get an Alpaca account.
2) Pay for the data feed for STOCKS (not crypto) (this is very inexpensive).
3) Implement your algorithms on their API doing only day-to-day PAPER
trading.
4) PAPER trade ONLY the top N symbols of the SnP500 and compare against the
SPY ETF performance (ie: calculate alpha and beta, etc.)
5) Even if you get good results, apply basic statistical tests for
significance and in particular look for biases in your algorithm that might
just happen to have matched market direction.