On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 10:13 AM Jenny Sue Hane <jennifer.hane....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Many of the statistics you're repeating here could be a case of
> correlation rather than causation

The Algorithmic Information Criterion is the best we can do in selecting
between causal models of the world as reflected in whatever data we have at
our disposal.  It beats all statistical information criteria for modeling
the world generating the data and provably so. This has been known ever
since Ray Solomonoff published in the mid 1960s and is true *even if all we
have to calculate with is an abacus.*  You can't escape this by the various
excuses thrown around because no matter what you do when you lay claim to
being "evidenced based" in your "science", you are assuming the same things
Solomonoff's proof did:  That the world can be predicted using arithmetic.
Don't want to use arithmetic as a prior probability distribution?  Don't
pretend to tell anyone anything about reality outside of your "lived
experience" as axiomatic and then don't expect them to do anything with
that information except in their personal relationship with your mental
state.

Using sexual or racial stereotypes (even when they are realistic) to make
> important decisions

"Decisions" are outside the scope of the discovery of what IS.  Indeed, the
entire panic over "AGI Superintelligence" can be addressed by the simple
expedient of limiting AI research to approximating the Algorithmic
Information in the data available and leaving all decisions up to humans.

Problem solved.

OK, but I get where you're really coming from:

Denying people access to what IS because you are afraid of the decisions
they will make with that information may be what OUGHT to happen, but so
long as you remain fearful of what IS the case, you will be putting
yourself, in your morally superior and psychological healthy state relative
to *those evil racists who can't handle the truth*, at a disadvantage in
dealing with the world as it IS.  If your function here is to throw up
roadblocks to public access to the truth, then I understand what you are
doing and your motivations.  But you must understand that in taking this
position, you are going to get some significant heat.