On Wed, Aug 9, 2023, 5:07 PM James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You might find his paper with SLAC physicist Pierre Noyes of interest.
> <https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9808011>

Indeed. I read as much as I could before my brain was overloaded. To
summarize the first 3/4 or so.

1. Causality: Given random variables A and B, we can say that A has a
causal effect on B if A is independent of B, p(A|B) = P(A), but B depends
on A, P(B|A) != P(B).

2. You can't detect causality by observing A and B because you can only
measure P(A,B), not P(A) or P(B). Nevertheless our brains are hard wired to
believe in the illusion of causality and the illusion of the arrow of time
because it leads to more offspring.

3. Quantum mechanics can be derived from pure math by extending probability
theory to allow negative values that we can't observe. For example, if you
have 10 white shirts and -10 green shirts in your closet, then you can't
select a shirt because you have a total of 0 shirts. But if you want a
white shirt, you have 10 to choose from.