On Thursday, August 10, 2023, at 8:50 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> Our evolved goals like food, sex, empathy, and aggression don't work in a
> world where AI can give us everything we want except happiness. A state of
> maximum utility is static, like death.

A machine can be made to do anything, or like anything. It is not unsound to
have a human that can constantly be happy doing the same thing. You can indeed
have a human that is not looking for something more to be fully happy. The only
thing left after technology is fully wielded is to colonize the galaxies, which
is just essentially cloning, and those units won't get tired and bored of
cloning.

What you said is simply not how humans work. We *can* indeed sustain max
happiness, even sadness and pain, for months or years. I have been having a
good lunch every day for 10 years straight, fries and nuggets, every day.
Similarly we have fun with a girl then like to stop after a few hours.

None of that gets boring either. I enjoy the same food/sex meals/routine every
day.

Searching is done when you are not happy with the one you are currently eating.
Or, you have some, but not all colors of the rainbow, and need all your
"nutrients".

BTW How does sex outside marriage result in less babies? Isn't sticking to 1
partner going to result in having less children because she would be pregnant
and others not pregnant could actually use someone if have no one.