On Friday, September 08, 2023, at 2:11 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> But that's not the reason. It's because intelligence depends on knowledge and
> computing power. A self improving program gains neither. An AI that can
> acquire atoms and energy for computation and do experiments can self improve,
> but it is not just a matter of exceeding human intelligence. Intelligence is
> not a point on a line, so we can't say when that happens. Computers are
> already a billion times smarter than humans in math and memory tests.

Right now, that is true, humans can only get faster at upgrading themselves by
learning more knowledge and having more babies, hence getting even faster at
doing that, and so on repeat. And that is leading to exponential progress. It
will get faster once AI does it since they can improve their intelligence too,
and speed, and bodies.