Ah, I see. Yes, I saw that reference. But I interpreted it only to
mean the general forms of a grammar. Do you think he means the
mechanism must actually be a grammar?

In the earlier papers I interpret him to be saying, if language is a
grammar, what kind of a grammar must it be? And, yes, it seemed he was
toying with actual physical mechanisms relating to levels of brain
structure. Thalamo-cortical loops?

The problem with that is, language doesn't actually seem to be any
kind of grammar at all.

It's like saying if the brain had to be an internal combustion engine,
it might be a Mazda rotary. BFD. It's not an engine at all.

I don't know if the authors realized that. But surely that's the point
of the HNet paper. That something can generate the general forms of a
grammar, without actually being a grammar.

I guess this goes back to your assertion in our prior thread that
"learning" needs to be constrained by "physical priors" of some kind
(was it?) Are there physical "objects" constraining the "learning", or
does the "learning" vaguely resolve as physical objects, but not
quite?

I don't think vague resemblance to objects means the objects must exist, at all.

Take Kepler and the planets. If the orbits of planets are epicycles,
which epicycles would they be? The trouble is, it turns out they are
not epicycles.

And at least epicycles work! That's the thing for natural language.
Formal grammar doesn't even work. None of them. Nested stacks, context
free, Chomsky hierarchy up, down, and sideways. They don't work. So
figuring out which formal grammar is best, is a pointless exercise.
None of them work.

Yes, broadly human language seems to resolve itself into forms which
resemble formal grammar (it's probably designed to do that, so that it
can usefully represent the world.) And it might be generally useful to
decide which formal grammar it best (vaguely) resembles.

But in detail it turns out human language does not obey the rules of
any formal grammar at all.

It seems to be a bit like the way the output of a TV screen looks like
objects moving around in space. Yes, it looks like objects moving in
space. You might even generate a physics based on the objects which
appear to be there. It might work quite well until you came to Road
Runner cartoons. That doesn't mean the output of a TV screen is
actually objects moving around in space. If you insist on implementing
a TV screen as objects moving around in space, well, it might be a
puppet show similar enough to amuse the kids. But you won't make a TV
screen. You will always fail. And fail in ways very reminiscent of the
way formal grammars almost succeed... but fail, to represent human
language.

Same thing with a movie. Also looks a lot like objects moving around
on a screen. But is it objects moving on a screen? Different again.

Superficial forms do not always equate to mechanisms.

That's what's good about the HNet paper for me. It discusses how those
general forms might emerge from something else.

The history of AI in general, and natural language processing in
particular, has been a search for those elusive "grammars" we see
chasing around on the TV screens of our minds. And they all failed.
What has succeeded has been breaking the world into bits (pixels?) and
allowing them to come together in different ways. Then the game became
how to bring them together. Supervised "learning" spoon fed the
"objects" and bound the pixels together explicitly. Unsupervised
learning tried to resolve "objects" as some kind of similarity between
pixels. AI got a bump when, by surprise, letting the "objects" go
entirely turned out to generate text that was more natural than ever!
Who'd a thunk it? Letting "objects" go entirely works best! If it
hadn't been for the particular circumstances of language, pushing you
to a "prediction" conception of the problem, how long would it have
taken us to stumble on that? The downside to that was, letting
"objects" go entirely also doesn't totally fit with what we
experience. We do experience the world as "objects". And without those
"objects" at all, LLMs are kind of unhinged babblers.

So where's the right balance? Is the solution as LeCun, and perhaps
you, suggest (or Ben, looking for "semantic primitives" two years
ago...), to forget about the success LLMs had by letting go of objects
entirely. To repeat our earlier failures and seek the "objects"
elsewhere. Some other data. Physics? I see the objects, dammit! Look!
There's a coyote, and there's a road runner, and... Oh, my physics
didn't allow for that...

Or could it be the right balance is, yes, to ignore the exact
structure of the objects as LLMs have done, but no, not to do it as
LLMs do by totally ignoring "objects", but to ignore only the internal
structure of the "objects", by focusing on relations defining objects
in ways which allow their internal "pattern" to vary.

That's what I see being presented in the HNet paper. Maybe I'm getting
ahead of its authors. Because that is the solution I'm presenting
myself. But I interpret the HNet paper to present that option also.
Cognitive objects, including "grammar", can emerge with a freedom
which resembles the LLM freedom of totally ignoring "objects" (which
seems to be necessary, both by the success of LLMs at generating text,
and by the observed failure of formal grammars historically) if you
specify them in terms of external relations.

Maybe the paper authors don't see it. But the way they talk about
generating grammars based on external relations, opens the door to it.