Rob, basically you're reiterating what I've been saying here all along. To
increase contextualization and instill robustness in the LLM systemic
hierarchies. Further, that it seems to be critically lacking within current
approaches.

However, I think this is fast changing, and soon enough, I expect
breakthroughs in this regard. Neural linking could be one of those
solutions.

While it may not be exactly the same as your hypothesis (?), is it because
it's part of your PhD that you're not willing to acknowledge that this
theoretical work may have been completed by another researcher more than 17
years ago, even submitted for review and subsequently approved? The market,
especially Japan, grabbed this research as fast as they could. It's the
West that turned out to be all "snooty" about its meaningfulness, yet, it
was the West that reviewed and approved of it. Instead of serious
collaboration, is research not perhaps being hamstrung by the NIH (Not
Invented Here) syndrome, acting like a stuck handbrake?

IMO, this is exactly why progress in the West has been so damned slow.
Everyone is competing for the honor of discovering something great, looking
out for number one. Write a book. Grab a TV show, become a hero, or
whatever.

Here's another person on this list who also jetted off into his own space
with a PhD, the fruits of his labor we have never seen. His theory becoming
quickly as irrelevant as the time it takes to code newer applications. As
you must be acutely aware of: Valid doesn't equate to Reliable and Reliable
doesn't equate to Relevance (Attention) and Relevance doesn't equate to
Intel. Seems to me, pundits of LLMs (used to) think it does. After
relevance within LLMs would be resolved (soon), the real battle for Intel
would begin. An epic battle well-worth watching.

Meanwhile, in all probability, whatever we could think of/invent has
already been thought of by another person, somewhere else in the world.
Sometimes, centuries ago. This seems very similar to what Karl Mannheim was
referring to in his view on competition for knowledge as a factor for human
survival, within the context of the sociology of knowledge. I think we
should add this as a mitigating factor to culturally-based knowledge
systems and embed it in LLMs. My 2 cents' worth.

Predictably, at a certain "size" LLMs - on their own - would wander off
into ambiguity. There are multiple reasons for this, one of them due to
exponential complexity. That's the point - I'll predict - at which ~99.7%
of the LLM-dev market's going to be left behind to scramble for
marketing-related contracts/jobs in order to support AI-based sales and
trading efforts.

The remainder ~0.3% are going to emerge as the AI-driven Intel industry.
I'll rate the AI-Intel market segment as a future, trillion-dollar
industry.

Just some thoughts I had. I could be completely wrong. Only time would
tell.