On Sat, Jun 22, 2024 at 6:05 PM Boris Kazachenko <cogno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You both talk too much to get anything done...

Ah well, you may be getting lots done, Boris. The difference is
perhaps, I don't know everything yet.

Though, after 35 years, it can be surprising what other people don't
know. I like to help where I can. Some people just have no clue. Even
LeCun. Vision guy. He's probably been thinking about language only 7
years or so, since transformers. He only knows the mental ruts his
vision, back-prop, career, has led him to. You can be deep in one
problem and shallow in another.

But I don't know everything. Trying to explain keeps me thinking about
it. And here and there you get good new information.

For instance, that paper James introduced me to, perhaps for the wrong
reasons, was excellent new information:

A logical re-conception of neural networks: Hamiltonian bitwise
part-whole architecture E.F.W.Bowen,1 R.Granger,2* A.Rodriguez3
https://openreview.net/pdf?id=hP4dxXvvNc8

Very nice. The only other mention I recall for the open endedness of
"position-based"/"embedding" type encoding, as a key to creativity. A
nice vindication for me. Helps give me confidence I'm on the right
track. And they have some ideas for extensions to vision, etc. Though
I don't think they see the contradiction angle.

And, another example, commenting on that LeCun post (the one
mentioning the "puzzle" of transformer world models which get less
coverage as you increase resolution... A puzzle. Ha. Nice vindication
in itself...) Twitter prompted me to a guy in Australia who it turns
out has just published a paper showing that sequence networks with a
lot of shared "walk" end points, tend to synchronize locally.

Wow. A true wow. Shared endpoints constrain local synchronization. I
was wondering about that!

How shared end points could constrain sub-net synchrony in a feed
forward networks was something I was struggling with. I think I need
it. So a paper explaining that they do is well cool. New information.
It gives me confidence to move forward looking for the right kind of
feed forward net to try and get local synchronizations corresponding
to substitution groupings/embeddings. Those substitution "embeddings"
would be "walks" between such shared end points, and I want them to
synchronize.

Paper here:

Analytic relationship of relative synchronizability to network
structure and motifs
Joseph T. Lizier,1, 2, ∗ Frank Bauer,2, 3 Fatihcan M. Atay,4, 2 and
J¨urgen Jost2
https://openreview.net/pdf?id=hP4dxXvvNc8

More populist presentation shared on my FB group here:

https://www.facebook.com/share/absxV8ij9rio2j9a/
He has a github:

https://github.com/jlizier/linsync

And that guy Lizier appears to be part of a hitherto unsuspected
sub-field of neuro-computational research attempting to reconcile
synchronized oscillations to some kind of processing breakdown. None
of it from my point of view though, I think. I need to explore where
there might be points of connection there.

So, lots of opportunity to waste time, sure. But I'm not sure that
just sticking to some idea of learned hierarchy, which is all I
remember of your work, without exposing it to criticism, is
necessarily going to get you any further.