On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 4:11 PM James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 2:47 PM Matt Mahoney <mattmahone...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ...I mean observer dependent information...
>

> Such intersubjectivity recursively bottoms out in the lone subject who
> receives "data" through a provenance chain involving other "observers" some
> of whom are "which":  measurement instruments.
>
> This is why I'm so insistent that the AIT folks get on with formalizing
> forensic epistemology -- including, ultimately -- game theory.  This can
> start with something as simple as an agent self-diagnosing a faulty
> measurement instrument that delivers observations -- knowledge in the sense
> you mean.
>
> Until this happens, I'm afraid all of the efforts at "ethics" in AGI are ill
> founded.

Ethics is a product of group evolution. Like, most animals don't eat
their own species. It is not something that AIT can resolve.

In any case, I was not trying to model ethics. I was estimating the
cost of transferring 10^17 bits of human knowledge into AGI.
1. Modeling the physics of the universe. Requires 10^120 qubit operations.
2. Modeling evolution. Requires 10^50 transcription operations on
10^37 bits of DNA.
3. Scanning 10^10 human brains at 5 nm resolution, producing 10^32
bits of voxel data.
4. Transmitting 10^19 characters of speech and writing at 10
characters per second per person at 0.01 bits per character.

Option 4 will cost about $1 quadrillion. Option 3 would be preferable
if the cost of a brain scan could be reduced to under $100K. Option 2
required 4 billion years on a planet sized molecular computer
consuming 90,000 TW, but I think with nanotechnology this could be
reduced by a factor of 100, close to the Landauer limit. Option 1 is
impossible by Wolpert's law.

--
-- Matt Mahoney, mattmahone...@gmail.com