On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 8:44 AM Matt Mahoney <mattmahone...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 4:11 PM James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 2:47 PM Matt Mahoney <mattmahone...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> ...I mean observer dependent information...
> > ...This can start with something as simple as an agent self-diagnosing
> a faulty measurement instrument that delivers observations -- knowledge in
> the sense you mean. Until this happens, I'm afraid all of the efforts at
> "ethics" in AGI are ill founded.
> Ethics is a product of group evolution. Like, most animals don't eat their
> own species. It is not something that AIT can resolve. In any case, I was
> not trying to model ethics.

Let me rephrase:

"In *any* case" AIT not only can but *must* include a model observer *bias*
if your definition of "knowledge" as observer-dependent measurement is
relevant to the field of machine learning hence economic arguments such as:

...estimating the cost of transferring 10^17 bits of human knowledge into
> AGI.

So let me re-state the challenge besetting *any* predictions based on "
*observer*-dependent information" by this example of "knowledge" in your
world wide epistemology network:

Bob observes that Alice observes that Alice's thermometer observes 99C as
the boiling point of water.

Note the provenance chain involves a discrepancy between observed and
predicted temperature regarding the "knowledge" that 100C is the boiling
point of water that is a *model*-dependent piece of information.  Is the
thermometer biased?  Is Alice biased?  Is Alice's context biased by her
altitude?  Is Bob biased by his feelings about Alice?

None of this is to say that your thesis is *wrong* but it is merely to say
that when you dismiss "a product of group" ANYTHING -- evolution or merely
social networking -- you are ignoring something that is not only relevant
but increasingly urgent in an environment where Gavin Newsom is throwing
people in prison for "observer-dependent information".