Regarding being wary about military apps of AI technology, it seems to me
there are two different objectives one might pursue:

1) to avoid militarization of one's technology

2) to avoid the military achieving *exclusive* control over one's technology

It seems to me that the first objective is very hard, regardless of whether
one accepts military funding or not.  The only ways that I can think of to
achieve 1) would be

1a) total secrecy in one's project all the way

1b) extremely rapid ascendancy from proto-AGI to superhuman AGI -- i.e.
reach the end goal before the military notices one's project.  This relies
on "security through simply being ignored" up to the proto-AGI phase...

On the other hand, the second objective seems to me relatively easy.  If one
publishes one's work and involves a wide variety of developers in it, no one
is going to achieve exclusive power to create AGI.  AGI is not like nuclear
weapons, at least not if a software-on-commodity-hardware approach works (as
I think it well).  Commodity hardware only is required, programming skills
are common, and math/cog-sci skills are not all *that* rare...

-- Ben G