On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, maitri wrote:

> It is true that eventually this technology will be in the public domain and
> be available to DARPA.

More likely in my opinion to be developed under US government (Darpa,
HS-ARPA, ARDA) than by purely private funds.

> The important thing is to avoid DARPA getting it before everyone else does.
> The ***only*** way to do this is to avoid accepting funding from them.  If
> this means that it takes 5 more years to develop, then so be it.  If it
> means that you have to flip burgers by day, and code by night, then so be
> it.  If someone makes a deal with the devil, they are only going to receive
> a bad result.

You can only achieve this result through political action.  I am aware of
many companies and university researchers hoping to advance AI as Darpa
contractors, so you cannot hope to get them all to agree.

> Some people want to delude themselves that they are doing something "good",
> but their real motives may lie $$$elsewhere$$$. (not referring to the
> Novamente team).

As Cycorp is the best funded company among those organizations with AGI as
their primary goal, I would state that for us enrichment is not the
motive.  Achieving AGI is the goal and Darpa funding provides a way to
finance our advancement without losing equity (control) of the company. It
is my believe that all the principals at Cycorp have lowered their
standard of living compared to what we might enjoy with another employer,
so that we can maximize the headcount of the company and improve our
progress.

Consider the hypothetical choice of having fabulous wealth in a world like
today, or simply being a average person in a world with AGI.  I would
choose the latter knowing that in today's world, no amount of money can
keep me or my loved ones alive, but in a world with AGI, perhaps
immortality will be ubiquitous.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org