Kevin,

About "mind=brain" ...

My own view of that elusive entity, “mind" is well-articulated in terms of
the philosophy of Charles S. Peirce, who considered there to be several
different levels on which mind could be separately considered.  Peirce used
three levels, but inspired by Jung and others, I have introduced a fourth,
and we prefer to think about:

1.      First, raw experience
2.      Second, physical reaction
3.      Third, relationship and pattern
4.      Fourth, synergy and emergence

Each of these levels constitutes a different perspective on the mind; and
many important mental phenomena can only be understood by considering them
on several different levels.

First corresponds roughly speaking to consciousness.  On this level,
analysis has no more meaning than the color red, and everything is simply
what it presents itself as.  We will not speak about this level further in
this article, except to say that, in the Peircean perspective, it is an
aspect that everything has – even rocks and elementary particles – not just
human brains.

Second, the level of physical reaction, corresponds to the “machinery”
underlying intelligent systems.  In the case of humans, it’s bodies and
brains; in the case of groups of humans, it’s sets of bodies and brains.  In
fact, there’s a strong case to be made that even in the case of “individual”
human minds, the bodies and brains of a whole set of humans is involved.  No
human mind makes sense in isolation; if a human mind is isolated for very
long, it changes into a different sort of thing than an ordinary human  mind
as embedded in society.

Third, the level of relationship and pattern, is the level that is most
commonly associated with the word “mind” in the English language.  One way
of conceiving of the mind is as the set of patterns associated with a
certain physical system.  By “associated with” we mean the patterns in that
system, and the patterns that emerge when one considers that system together
with other systems in its habitual environment.  So, for instance, the human
mind may be considered as the set of patterns in the human brain (both in
its structure, and in its unfolding over time), and the patterns that are
observed when this brain is considered in conjunction with other humans and
its physical environment.  This perspective may justly be claimed
incomplete – it doesn’t capture the experiential aspect of the mind, which
is First; or the physical aspect of the mind, which is Second.  But it
captures a very important aspect of mind, mind as relationship.  This view
of mind in terms of “patterns” may be mathematically formalized, as has been
done in a "loose" way in my book From Complexity to Creativity.

Fourth, the level of synergy, has to do with groups of patterns that emerge
from each other, in what have been called “networks of emergence.”   A mind
is not just a disconnected bundle of patterns, it’s a complex,
self-organizing system, composed of patterns that emerge from sets of other
patterns, in an interpenetrating way.

The notion of synergy is particularly important in the context of collective
intelligence.  The “mind” of a group of people has many aspects –
experiential, physical, relational and synergetic – but what distinguishes
it from the minds of the people within the group, is specifically the
emergent patterns that exist only when the group is together, and not when
the group is separated and dispersed throughout the rest of society.

One thing all this means is that the number of bits needed to realize a mind
physically, does not equal the number of bits in the mind.  One cannot
reduce mind to the Second level.  The physical substructure of a mind is the
key unlocking the door to a cornucopia of emergent patterns between an
embodied system and its environment (including other embodied systems).
These patterns are the mind, and they contain a lot more information than is
explicit in the number of bits in the physical substrate.

Regarding quantum or quantum gravity approaches to the mind, these are
interesting to me, but from a philosophical perspective they're "just
details" regarding how the physical universe organizes its patterns... they
don't really affect the above general picture....

-- Ben G

-- Ben G