I think my position is similar to Ben's; it's not really what you
ground things in, but rather that you don't expose your limited
little computer brain to an environment that is too complex --
at least not to start with. Language, even reasonably simple
context free languages, could well be too rich for a baby AI.
Trying to process 3D input is far too complex. Better then to
start with something simple like 2D pixel patterns as Ben suggests.
The A2I2 project by Peter Voss is taking a similar approach.

Once very simple concepts and relations have been formed at this
level then I would expect an AI to be better able to start dealing
with richer things like basic language using what it learned
previously as a starting point. For example, relating simple
patterns of language that have an immediate and direct relation
to the visual environment to start with and slowly building up
from there.

Shane