Hi all,

I find the friendliness issue fairly infertile ground tackled way too soon.
conferring of a will to live. Our natural tendency is to ascribe this will
to live to our intelligent artifacts. This 'seed' is by far the hardest
thing to create and the real determinant of 'friendliness' in the end. Our
seed? I think a model that starts from something like 'another heartbeat
must happen'. When you don't have a heart? What - poke a watchdog timer
every 100msec or die?

My feeling at the moment is that far from having a friendliness problem
we're more likely to need a cattle prod to keep the thing interested in
staying awake, let alone getting it to take the trouble to formulate any
form of friendliness or malevolence or even indifference.

If our artifact is a zombie, what motivation is there to bother _faking_
friendliness or malevolence or even indifference? Without it Pinnocchio the
puppet goes to sleep.

If our artifact is not a zombie (.ie. has a real subjective experience) then
what motivates _real_ friendliness or malevolence or even indifference?
Without it Pinnocchio the artificial little boy goes to sleep.

Whatever the outcome, at its root is the will to even start learning that
outcome. You have to be awake to have a free will.

What gets our AGI progeny up in the morning?

regards,

Colin Hales

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]