From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Colin Hales
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 5:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [agi] The AGI and the will to live

Hi all,

I find the friendliness issue fairly infertile ground tackled way too
soon. Go back to where we are: the beginning. I'm far more interested in
the conferring of a will to live. Our natural tendency is to ascribe
this will to live to our intelligent artifacts. This 'seed' is by far
the hardest thing to create and the real determinant of 'friendliness'
in the end. Our seed? I think a model that starts from something like
'another heartbeat must happen'. When you don't have a heart? What -
poke a watchdog timer every 100msec or die?

My feeling at the moment is that far from having a friendliness problem
we're more likely to need a cattle prod to keep the thing interested in
staying awake, let alone getting it to take the trouble to formulate any
form of friendliness or malevolence or even indifference.

If our artifact is a zombie, what motivation is there to bother _faking_
friendliness or malevolence or even indifference? Without it Pinnocchio
the puppet goes to sleep.

If our artifact is not a zombie (.ie. has a real subjective experience)
then what motivates _real_ friendliness or malevolence or even
indifference? Without it Pinnocchio the artificial little boy goes to
sleep.

Whatever the outcome, at its root is the will to even start learning
that outcome. You have to be awake to have a free will.

What gets our AGI progeny up in the morning?

regards,

Colin Hales

subscription,
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]