Shane,

One issue that make that version of the paper controversial is the term
"computation", which actually has two senses: (1) "whatever computer
does",and (2) "what defined as `computation' in computability theory".  In
the paper I'm using the second sense of the term.  (I'm revising the paper
to make this more clear.)

My argument, briefly speaking, is that it is quite possible, in the current
computer, to solve problems in such a way that is non-deterministic (i.e.,
context-sensitive) and open-ended (as in anytime algorithms).  Such a
process doesn't satisfy the definition of computation, doesn't follow a
predetermined algorithm, and has no fixed complexity.

To implement such a process requires no magic --- actually many existing
systems already go beyond computability theory, though few people has
realized it.  An concrete example is my NARS --- there is a demo at
http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/farg/peiwang/NARS/ReadMe.html (you know that,
but some others don't). The system's capacity at the surface level cannot be
specified by computability theory, and the resource it spends on a question
is not fixed.

For that "level" issue, one way to see it is through the concept of "virtual
machine".  We all know that at a low level computer only has procedural
language and binary data, but at a high level it has non-procedural language
(such as functional or logical languages) and decimal data.  Therefore, if
virtual machine M1 is implemented by virtual machine M2, the two may still
have quite different properties.  What I'm trying to do is to implement a
"non-computing" system on a computing one.

If you are still unconvinced, think about this problem: say the problem you
are trying to solve is to reply my current email. Is this problem
computable?  Do you follow an algorithm in solving it?  What is the
computational complexity of this process?

Pei