Brad,

One useful distinction here is between "declarative" and "procedural"
knowledge.

Cyc seems moderately strong on declarative knowledge (though I think it
misses most of the fine-grained declarative knowledge that helps us cope
with the real world... it focuses on relatively abstract levels of
declarative knowledge...)

Cyc is not strong at all on procedural knowledge!! ... and "how to
self-modify your code" is pretty much procedural not declarative knowledge.
Just as programming skill is largely procedural rather than declarative
knowledge -- thus one has to learn it by doing as well as by reading and
studying...

Explicit encoding of procedural knowledge is very hard, perhaps even harder
than encoding of fine-grained declarative knowledge ...

Ben G