> > Brad,
> >
> > One useful distinction here is between "declarative" and "procedural"
> > knowledge.
>
> It's a very potent distinction indeed, especially in the
> cognitive sciences.
>
> It is my opinion that one of the strengths of the brain is that
> declarative knowledge, at least some forms of it, can become
> procedural over a long period of time.

Yep.  Novamente contains particular mechanisms for converting between
declarative and procedural knowledge... something that is learned
procedurally can become declarative and vice versa.  In fact, if all goes
according to plan (a big if of course ;) Novamente should *eventually* be
much better at this than the human brain.

For instance, humans are not very good at making procedural knowledge
declarative -- it takes a rare human to be able to explain and understand
how they do something they know how to do well.  There is a real algorithmic
difficulty here, but even so, I think a lot of the difficulty that humans
have in doing this is "unnecessary", i.e. a consequence of the particular
way the brain is structured rather than a consequence of the (admittedly
large) difficulty of the problem involved.

-- Ben