On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:07:57PM -0500, Brad Wyble wrote:

> You guys are throwing around orders of magnitude like ping pong balls
> based on very little practical evidence.  Sometimes no estimate is less
> misleading than one that is arbitrary.

What makes you think it's arbitrary? Minimal switching time e.g. for a
MRAM-based logic cell or a NEMS buckling bucky tube element, or a
ballistic bucky transistor are not exactly guesswork. Recent literature is
full of pretty solid data.

Do you think that equivalents of ~ms processes in biological tissue
information processing can't occur within ~ns? ~ps gate delays are achievable
with
current electronics. I don't see why running the equivalent of a piece of
neuroanatomy should not accrue more than 1 k parallel gate delays. It's a
conservative guess, actually. (Which is why I'm saying 10^6, and not 10^9).

> >No. The simulation handles virtual substrate, and that's O(1) if you match
> >organism size with volume of dedicated hardware, assuming local signalling
> >(which is ~ms constrained in biology, and ~ps..~fs constrained
> >relativistically).
>

> I was referring to the complexity of the organism's mind.  Surely you are
> not going to tell me that as the evolving brains increase in complexity,
> there is no effect on the simulation speed?

Yes. I'm going to tell you that a spike propagating doesn't care (much) about
whether it's running in a mouse or a human. Processing takes longer in human
primates than in rodents, but not dramatically so. The reason is more hops,
and capability to process far more complex stimuli with a minimally modified
substrate. The processing unit sees signals passing along virtual wires, or
packets passing through nodes. The higher organization levels are transparent,
what matters is processing volume/numbers of nodes, and whether your average
(virtual) connectivity at the processing element level can handle the higher
connectivity in a human vs. rodent cortex. It is not obvious that a mouse
brain voxel is doing significantly less work than a human brain voxel, as
far as operation complexity is concerned.

> But in order for interesting things to happen, organisms have to be able
> to interact with one another for quite some time before the grim reaper
> does his grim business.

Do you think that a 1 MJahr/Jahr simulation rate can't address that?

> I'm confused, all you want are Ants?
> Or did you mean AGI in  ant-bodies?

Social insects are a good model, actually. Yes, all I want is a framework
flexible and efficient enough to produce social insect level on intelligence
on hardware of the next decades.

If you can come that far, the rest is relatively trivial, especially if you
have continous accretion of data from wet and computational neuroscience.

> The idea of bootstrapping intelligence is interesting, but far from
> proven.  That too will require much engineering.

The idea is not exactly new, and fully validated since you can read this
sentence. It is an engineering problem, not projections of fundamental science
milestones.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>