I don't exactly have the same reaction, but I have some things to add
to the following exchange.

On 10/23/06, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Matt Mahoney wrote:
> Children also learn language as a progression toward increasingly complex
patterns.
> - phonemes beginning at 2-4 weeks
> - phonological rules for segmenting continuous speech at 7-10 months [1]
> - words (semantics) beginning at 12 months
> - simple sentences (syntax) at 2-3 years
> - compound sentences around 5-6 years

ARRrrrrgggghhhh!

Please don't do this.  My son (like many other kids) had finished about
fifty small books by the time he was 5, and at least one of the Harry
Potter books when he was 6.

You are talking about these issues at a pre-undergraduate level of
comprehension.

Anecdotal evidence is always bad, but I will note that I myself was
reading Tolkein(badly) by 1st grade, and when I was five was scared
badly by a cold war children's book "Nobody wants a Nuclear War".

There are also other problems with neat progressions like this. One
glaring one is that much younger children can learn sign
language(which is physically much easier) and communicate fairly
complicated concepts far in advance of speech, so much so that many
parent courses now suggest and support learning and teaching baby sign
language so as to be able to communicate desires, needs, and
explanations with the child much earlier.

--
Justin Corwin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]