To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] Natural versus formal AI interface languages

Artificial languages that remove ambiguity like Lojban do not bring us any closer to solving the AI problem. It is straightforward to convert between artificial languages and structured knowledge (e.g first order logic), but it is still a hard (AI complete) problem to convert between natural and artificial languages. If you could translate English -> Lojban -> English, then you could just as well translate, e.g. English -> Lojban -> Russian. Without a natural language model, you have no access to the vast knowledge base of the Internet, or most of the human race. I know people can learn Lojban, just like they can learn Cycl or LISP. Lets not repeat these mistakes. This is not training, it is programming a knowledge base. This is narrow AI.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]