On 11/4/06, Russell Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/4/06, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I of course don't think that SHRDLU vs. AGISim is a fair comparison.

Agreed. SHRDLU didn't even try to solve the real problems - for the simple
and sufficient reason that it was impossible to make a credible attempt at
such on the hardware of the day. AGISim (if I understand it correctly) does.
Oh, I'm sure the current implementation makes fatal compromises to fit on
today's hardware - but the concept doesn't have an _inherent_ plateau the
way SHRDLU did, so it leaves room for later upgrade. It's headed in the
right compass direction.

Actually, I phrased my comment somewhat imprecisely.

What I should have said is: I don't think that "SHRDLU's Blocks World"
versus AGISim is a fair comparison....  These are both environments
for AI's ...

The absurd comparison between AI systems would be SHRDLU versus Novamente ;-)

ben g