Matt Mahoney wrote:

> [...] Lenat briefly mentions
> "Sergey's (one of Google's founders) goal of solving AI by 2020".

FWIW I solved AI theory-wise in 1979 and software-wise in 2007.
http://mind.sourceforce.net/Mind.html and
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/jsaimind.html and
http://visitware.com/AI4U/jsaimind.html are True AI demo versions.

> I think if Google and Cyc work together on this, they will succeed.

The Mentifex solution to AI is "messy."
About thirty parameters of AI have been orchestrated and
coordinated to produce a minimal thinking artificial Mind.

What the late Christopher McKinstry and the late
Pushpinder Singh tried to achieve in their web-mind (pace Ben G :-)
programs can be achieved, albeit "messily," in Mind.html or in
http://mind.sourceforge.net/mind4th.html (lagging behind Mind.html)
either by hard-coding a minimal subject-verb-object KB (as I did)
or by data-entry when users "teach" the artificial Mind new facts.

On another note, something which may alarm our fellow list members,
I am thinking of replacing the "Terminate" exit from Mind.html
with a [ ] Death check-box that will pop up a plea for mercy,
with an ethical user-decision to be made about AI life or death.

If the Mentifex AI programs Mind.html [AI-Complete] and Mind.Forth
have truly solved AI, the open-access Site Meter logs will reveal
an enormous rush to fetch the free AI source code. That escalation
has not happened yet, but you are all welcome to click on Site Meter
and see such curious visit logs as the following example from a few
days ago, which was apparently made to a local copy of a Mentifex page:

                     Visit 190,585
                                                           [<<]  [>>]
Domain Name        senate.gov ? (United States Government)
IP Address         156.33.25.# (U.S. Senate Sergeant at Arms)
ISP                U.S. Senate Sergeant at Arms
Location           Continent  :  North America
                   Country  :  United States  (Facts)
                   State  :  District of Columbia
                   City  :  Washington
                   Lat/Long  :  38.8933, -77.0146 (Map)
Language           unknown
Operating System   Microsoft WinXP
Browser            Internet Explorer 6.0
                   Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
                   SV1; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Javascript         disabled
Time of Visit      Jan 12 2007 5:40:01 pm
Last Page View     Jan 12 2007 5:40:01 pm
Visit Length       0 seconds
Page Views         1
Referring URL      unknown
Visit Entry Page