On 1/18/07, Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Joel Pitt wrote:
> * I think such a project should make the data public domain. Ignore
> silly ideas like giving be "shares" in the knowledge or whatever. It
> just complicates things. If the project is really strapped for cash
> later, then either use ad revenue or look for research funding
> (although I don't see much cost except for initial development of the
> system and web hosting).
Making this "proprietary" and expecting "shares" to translate into cash
would indeed be a silly approach.
It's find to talk about making the data "public domain", but that's not
a good idea.  There are arguments in favor of BSD, MIT, GPL, LGPL, etc.
licenses.  For this kind of activity I can see either BSD or MIT as
easily defensible.  (Personally I'd use LGPL, but then if I were using
it, I'd want the whole application to be GPL.  I might not be able to
achieve it, but that's what I'd want.)  Public domain wouldn't be one of
the possibilities that I would consider.  The Artistic license is about
as close to that as I would want to come...and the MIT license is
probably a better choice for those purposes.

I think a project like this one requires substantial efforts, so people
would need to be paid to do some of the work (programming, interface
design, etc), especially if we want to build a high quality knowledgebase.
If we make it free then a likely outcome is that we get a lot of noise but
very few people actually contribute.

I'm not an academic (left uni a couple years ago) so I can't get academic
funding for this.  If I can't start an AI business I'd have to entirely give
up AI as a career.  I hope you can understand these circumstances.

YKY