Shane Legg wrote:

Ben, I didn't know you were a Ruby fan...

Cassio has gotten me into Ruby ... but in Novamente it's used only
for prototyping, the real system is C++

For some non-AGI consulting projects we have also used Ruby.

Ruby runs slowly, but, other than that, it's a great language.

Getting back to AGI: I think that, with AGI, the programming
language is pretty much irrelevant, **unless** it stands in the
way of getting the ideas worked out right.

Personally I find that, with C++, I need to have everything
figured out really well in advance before starting coding, or
the code becomes a mess.  Whereas with Ruby I can fiddle
around and think while coding, because modifying code
on-the-fly is so easy.  So, I have liked using Ruby for
prototyping that is aimed at understanding the viability of
some idea.  Then once something has been fully understood,
via prototyping along with other methods, it can be translated
to C++ using a proper scalable, maintainable design...

-- Ben