I don't believe AI in the sense of a self-willed mind is going to happen;
fortunately, it doesn't need to. The two problems I want to help solve are
the global loss of fifty million lives a year, and the difficulty in living
in the 99.999...999% of the universe that isn't Earth. Each of these is a
problem not of magnitude but of complexity, so to solve them we need better
tools for handling complexity.

At present we have marvellous tools for handling human-readable information,
but essentially all significant work still needs to be done by humans. Even
our richest, most sophisticated and flexible programs are tiny isolated
fragments, brittle and opaque, animated step by small painful step only by
the constant labor of armies of human workers. We need to do for
machine-readable information/procedural knowledge what we have done for
text: create a rich, fluid environment in which humans need merely say what
we want, and the machines will handle the details of delivering it to us. If
we can build tools that powerful, we can start making real progress on the
problems of complexity.