It should be a combination fo the two, even as Cyc is finding out now with
their use of Google to search out new terms and facts.

A really simple example of that is related objects... a book scraping can
generate a listed of objects it thinks are related, then it can ask the user
how they are related, or to correct it if it is unsure about a rule it learned.

Imagine though a very easy to use Cyc, that was in simple english (no Cyc-like
language) that any user could interact with in a nice interface.
Given a few million interactions, you could quickly gather much useful
information about any given topic. (re Wiki pages)

James Ratcliff

Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:       >> Much of commonsense knowledge is
not  explicitly stated in books or other reading materials for  adults

     Almost all commonsense knowledge *is*  explicitly written down somewhere
-- just not restated constantly in  "reading material" (where it would be
redundant).  Dictionaries and  encyclopedias (and even self-help books) are
wondrous things . . . .  :-)

 >> many  logical rules would have to be inductively learned while the machine
 >> is doing  the reading.

     Actually -- No, I don't believe so.  Grammar,  definitions, and
inheritance can all be used to *MASSIVELY* reduce the number of  rules (as in,
by several orders of magnitude) that need to be learned (and  inductive
learning is *not* a particularly effective form of learning at this  scale/in a
text environment).

 >> It seems much easier to simply ask humans to encode the facts /  rules.

     Why does it seem easier?   No one has gotten it to work in the past.  What
do you think you know that  they don't?

     To me, it seems much easier to  have an automated system encode the
facts/rules.

          Mark