Like Elihu, I'm also a lurker on this list.  I'm almost finished undergrad
at UVa in Music and Economics: My main interest is the blossoming
Neo-Luddite a cappella movement.  After I graduate, I will enter that sphere
at an audio engineer, although hopefully I will continue work as a
musicologist and avant-garde composer.  Much of my interest in music
involves the level of incorporation of technology into music: the paradox of
the recorded (or mic'ed) acoustic or a cappella performances, for instance.

I have almost no technical experience with AGI.  The fact that I'm lurking
this list should be encouraging: Although the AI field has had a nefarious
history, there really is a resurgence of interest.  We've seen hype and
crash in technology countless times (from the very painful experience of
flying your dot.com into the ground to Vista's voice recognition demos).  I
want to encourage you all: Although we all (even a musician) have strong
opinions about AGI, we mostly agree - else we wouldn't be on this list!

http://myspace.com/ptiff
I'll compose something for you AGI guys sometime.

On 3/26/07, Elihu Herskovics <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

David Clark writes:

> >Everyone on this list is quite different.
>
> It would be interesting to see what basic interests and views the
> members of
> this list hold.  For a few people, published works answer this pretty
> clearly but that's not true for most list members.

Hi.  Right now i'm a freshman in college pursuing an electrical
engineering degree with a leaning towards CS.  My interest in AGI started a
few years ago and has recently started to grow rapidly, to the point that I
now hope to enter a career involved in either AGI programming or neural
interfacing work.  I'm still at the stage that i don't know enough to
contribute to mailing lists like this and sl4, but enjoy learning and hope
it won't be to long before I can participate in research and discussions
like those that populate this list.

Elihu Herskovics