Department of Information Systems
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: (+27)-(0)21-6504256
Fax: (+27)-(0)21-6502280
Office: Leslie Commerce 4.21

>>> kevin.osborne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2007/03/28 15:57 >>>
> as a techie: scepticism. I think the 'small code' and 'small
hardware'
> people are kidding themselves.
Kevin, you're most probably right there. But remember that us small
code people *have* to have this belief in order to justify ourselves
working as individuals / tiny teams often during spare time and snatched
moments. As a small code person I think the chance of a small code
project achieving AGI is probably <1% (still probably an optimistic
estimate) that that of a larger, coordinated, well-funded and focussed
research group. But some of us are loners, like it that way, keep
dreaming and thinking away. Some of us have also seen how some really
innovative ideas tend to get lost in larger groups due to the
normalisation/group pressure. And we take heart in the fact that many of
the big advances in history (i.e. the big ideas) were typically produced
by single individuals or tiny teams. Not so sure about the small
hardware bit. Singularity software will require massive distributed
hardware IMHO but prototypes should run fine on "tomorrow's" PCs. When I
get technical enough, I'll plan my nebulous design/architecture around
~2012 hardware: i.e. a couple of 64-processor 256GB RAM machines - gives
me a realistic time horizon and something concrete.

>as a person: nihilism & the human condition. crime, drugs,
debauchery.
>self-destructive and life-endangering behaviour; rejection of social
>norms. the world as I know it is a rather petty, woeful place [...]

hey i liked that bit ;-) most of the time i think the world is a great
place tho. But that's probably because I'm living in
paradise^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HCape Town ;-)

Jean-Paul