Not only is each movie different for each person, it is different each time
one person sees it.  The movie itself is different from the movie-witnessing
experience, and there seems to be a feeling that you could compress it by just
grabbing the inner experience.  But you notice different things each time.
And more often than just trying to take away the factual bits of what
happened,  in any situation we are much more interesting in extracting the
"meaning" than teh simple fact about what just happened.  The implications,
the point of any particular action.  Even in speech, we aren't trying to
remember sounds, but which actual word-sound-meaning unit was intended, since
it is always ambiguous.

And the "narrative" nature of knowledge I think was mentioned, and I think
it's helpful to point out a part of narrative that is often neglected.  A
narrative is a chronologically ordered telling of a situation that has some
moral or point.  This moral or point is an important part of the meaning, just
as the is the factual content, but it is not nearly so absolutely or clearly
defined.  Very often, if not mostly at least for TV shows, the moral is just
that good triumphs over evil.  But if you leave it out in a story, people find
themselves not caring and thus not remembering.

andi

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:24:51 +0200, Kingma, D.P. wrote
> [Spelling corrected and reworded...]
>
> I'm not convinced by this reasoning. First, the way individuals store
audiovisual information differs, simply because of slight differences in brain
development (nurture). Also, memory is condensed information about the actual
high-level sensory/experience information. The actual 45kb memory of a movie
is therefore quite personal to the subject. Recall of a photo/video is more
like an impressionistic painting then an actual photo.

> An AGI that reconstructs a movie from 45kb human-ish compressed memory will
have to make up 99.99% of video and audio. A very educated guess, but still a
guess.

> Compare it with an extremely talented photorealistic animator human that,
purely from memory, creates a reconstruction of a scene from The Matrix.
Wouldn't you notice the difference in experience?