Derek:

I too agree that this is a good idea to exchange information.

For myself, I am a Computer Scientist but before I became a CS, I was a
PsychoBiologist so I have a good foundation in both worlds. Also, this
has led me to be a Reverse Brain Engineer and a Connectionist. I have
been working on the AGI problem for some 25+ years in my spare time
which unfortunately is scarce.

I also use .Net but I developed a (recursive) Web Service that mimics
the functions of a Neuron. I use SQL2005 as the means to define the
Neurons in my artificial brain. This is at least my latest attempt after
many failures of trying to mimic neurons as single processes that call
one another through some means of interprocess communications. These
past efforts all reached machine limitations very quickly. With my
latest venture, I also define an IP address in my target (artificial)
neurons so I can add as many web services running on as many machines as
I wish. So far it has been quite successful in my feeble attempts and of
course like everyone else, I find the obstacles and work on the next
phase to overcome them. This approach is immensely complex and does take
a lot from someone to put together so I do not recommend it for everyone
to try and I believe is the chief reason why so few do.

Although I disagree with the majority of approaches presented on this
list, I do find it interesting and insightful to at least attempt to
understand what people are doing. I personally do not believe that the
methodologies presented on this list (for the most part) will ever
succeed at a true AGI; however, I do respect and believe that a lot of
interesting things could (will) become of these approaches, and overall,
will be short term solutions to some interesting problems. I also
believe that true AGI will take quite a long time to nurture and cannot
be demonstrated in just a few minutes or days; i.e. I think a true AGI
will take months or years to train and this is where success or failure
will be difficult to realize.

I also believe that in 3 years, AGI could be realized with the proper
funding (maybe as little as $500K) due to my approach using .Net Web
Services. I do not believe we need more horsepower than is presently
available to succeed - it would be nice - but not necessary. This is
very bold indeed and I'm sure many would find potentially naive but I
think with the right team and hard work, it could be realized (as so
many have echoed so many times = money and time are our only enemies).

That's who I am and my research/thoughts in a nutshell,

Timothy Busbice