To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] rule-based NL system

On 4/28/07, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think that a *solution to NLP* is not a *solution to AGI*, so your
> argument does not apply.

I think that this depends upon your definition of intelligence and also assumes that a solution to NLP is not enough to boostrap the rest. I could
argue the point either way.  I think that NLP is difficult enough that it
will put you a huge way along the path to AGI (because, fundamentally,
language *requires* intelligence).

I thought that you implied that the solution to NLP does not need to
be general in its cognitive capacity. AGI could reuse NLP as part of
its general inference engine, that would be interesting. Much depends
on how subtle the NLP solution is, e.g. if it resolves ambiguities all
on its own then it is "pretty much" intelligent, but I think it
doesn't need to to be a viable NLP solution. The ambiguities can be
collapsed further down the way.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;