To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] rule-based NL system

On 4/28/07, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't think this is the operational sense of NLP as pursued by
> applying linguistic theories in narrow AI setting. (e.g. Dynamic
> Syntax, DRT, HPSG, ...)

but we want to apply NLP generally (i.e. not just in a narrow AI setting)

(For what it's worth, I meant the level of NLP as narrow-AI, not the
level of its application. But I agree.)

> I was writing in context of Mark Waser language-specific solutions (as
> I understand them), which if wished could be later reused in boarder
> contexts.

Actually, to convert from one language-specific version to another would be
pretty trivial I believe.  I think that all it would require would be
tagging each word with a language, a languageA to languageB dictionary, and

No, I mean applying to other "modality" so to say, to some other kind
of problem solving, not to another language: NLP shouldn't be language
specific as far as the theory behind it isn't. (It is OK to restrict
to English-like languages if this makes things simpler, but why limit
to a particular flavor of English?)

>> In other words, although there is enough special-purpose hardware in
there to
>> make it make sense to call language a "module", the full capability is >> so
>> interwoven with general cognition that it can't be separated across a
>> bottleneck.

I agree strongly with Josh here . . . .

> We stumble here on the meaning of capacity in this context. For
> example, a general GUI library is not expected to be generally
> intelligent.

because I don't think that a general NLP is possible without general
intelligence (again, of a *very* specific level).

I think what is enough is for an NLP *module* is a flexible model of
supplying contexts, so that, for example, a non-grammatical
metaphorical reading could take precedence on literal grammatical
reading.
NLP cannot read poetry without an AGI over its shoulder.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;