Pei,

I assumed your system is determinisitc from your posts, not your papers. So I'm still really, genuinely confused by your position. You didn't actually answer my question (unless I've missed something in all these posts) re how your system could "have a choice" and yet not be arbitrary at all.

Listen, you can define your system any which way you like. Why not do it simply and directly? A free system can decide at a given point, either of two or multiple ways, - in my example, to Buy, Sell or Hold. A deterministic system at that same point, will have only one option. It will have, say, to decide to Sell. Which is your system? (Philosophers may argue till the end of time about what is/ isn't compatibilist, incompatibilisit, etc etc but they won't define "free" and "determined" decisionmaking any differently).

To answer your question,

"how do you know that the
human mind is not deterministic in this sense? Just because you don't
know a complex set of algorithms that can explain its behaviors?"

Yes, it is not impossible that there is some extremely complex set of determinisitic algorithms that explains everything. It is not impossible that we are all a simulation on a computer run by some advanced civilisation. (How do you know that we are not?) But there is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that human behaviour does fall into deterministic patterns - no laws of scientific behaviour, despite hundreds of years of trying. No one can provide the slightest indication of what such a complex set of algorithms might be. And a nondeterministic programming explanation is basically simple. And fits the "crazy" evidence and much more. And - Occam's Razor - which kind of explanation should science go with?

Re:

"Wrong. NARS often needs to work hard to decide "between different
goals, tasks, axioms and algorithms", and is not always successful in
doing that."

thanks for clarifying. But presumably once it is either successful or a failure in deciding its priorities, then its priorities are fixed? And is therefore determined, or not?

Nor do I understand how or why your system could or would be deterministic and yet behave crazily like my dieting woman example for the whole of its life. By all means explain or point me to the passage in your work where you explain this. (Remember also re human, crazy behaviour that we're talking about people behaving in fundamentally self-contradictory ways - oscillating from what they consider "virtuous" to "vicious" behaviour their entire lives. I trust you will agree that this happens a great deal)..

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pei Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>