On 5/31/07, J. Andrew Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

All patents are ideas and algorithms.  There is nothing to
distinguish a classical CompSci algorithm from those in any other
area, never mind that hardware is software is data.  For example,
chemical process patents, which no one seems to object to, are
indistinguishable from software algorithm patents in every meaningful
detail both in practice and in theory.  From this I gather that most
of the objections to so-called software patents that are not also
applied to other "types" of patents are based on ignorance or veiled
self-interest.

To clarify: I don't know enough about the chemical industry to know whether
chemical process patents are a net benefit or hindrance; I imagine a chemist
would be the appropriate person to ask for the answer to that question. I
comment only on the software industry, because that's the one I know enough
about to know the answer on the issue: and it is that patents, in this
industry, are of great harm to everyone, and no benefit to anyone except the
lawyers. Life is not a zero-sum game; it's perfectly possible for everyone
to lose.