On 5/30/07, YKY (Yan King Yin) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

2b)  Another thing we can do is to patent our designs and algorithms (so
there will be a grace period of 1 year between disclosing something on our
forums and patenting it).

I don't think patenting algorithms is a good thing - algorithms are
essentially ideas, and ideas should not be treated as property.

All in all, we aim to be the *best* AGI project and our reward system will
be very generous and fair.  That'll make it quite unnecessary and
unlikely for people to start competing projects, *given* the great
difficulties of starting them.

Yes, I think this is a better philosophy - make it so that contributing to
the existing project is a more attractive proposition than starting a bunch
of separate incompatible projects.