On 6/2/07, Bob Mottram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From having worked on open source projects previously I think you
could be entering a world of pain here, because who assesses
individual contributions and upon what basis do you divide up the
cash.  You'll have developers wasting a lot of time arguing about why
their particular contribution was bigger or more important than the
next guys.

If members submit many contributions, slight inaccuracies will be evened
out, and there's no point making a big fuss about small ones.  If
a big dispute occurs we can set up an expert committee and use voting.

In the world of industry I've seen situations where particular
technologies were developed and then ring-fenced by astronomically
expensive licences such that only a tiny number of large corporations
had access to it.  It seems to me that this sort of situation could
also easily apply to AI development.  As a recent example of this kind
of behavior I'd cite certain robotics APIs, and also some of the APIs
used for advanced camera based surveillance systems.
[...]
Well I wouldn't have anything to do with software patents, because
ultimately they punish small software developers like myself.  I don't
have either the time or inclination to be a legal expert and research
every algorithm before implementing it.

Business has become very high stake nowadays, you must accept that or be
left out of the game.  This consortium is actually trying to help
individuals and small developers by giving them leverage.

Some small fee for an API would be fine, but requiring developers to
be anti-competitive seems very unrealistic.

Ok, anti-competition will be replaced by "agreeing to pay the mother project
when using its ideas on external projects".

YKY