--- Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> But lets say we don't program beliefs in consciousness or free will (not
> that
> we should).  The AGI will look at these concepts rationally.  It will
> conclude
> that they do not exist because human behavior can be explained without their
> existence.  It will recognize that the human belief in a "little person"
> inside the brain that observes the world and makes decisions is illogical,
> but
> the belief exists because it confers a survival advantage.  Humans who don't
> believe they have any control over their environment become depressed and
> die.
>  The AGI will be aware of animal research into learned helplessness which
> proves this.
>
> I'm tempted to draw the following conclusions from the above paragraph:
>   1.. You don't believe in consciousness.  Huh?  Are you serious?

I do believe in consciousness.  It would be impossible for me to believe
otherwise.

>   2.. You haven't thought your argument through far enough to realize that
> an AI's rational reasoning is much more likely to go something like "Since
> all well-adapted effective creatures have the following beliefs, maybe
> (lacking any sort of evidence to the contrary) I should adopt those beliefs
> as well."

Beliefs can come from different sources, for example:

- Beliefs can be hard coded.  Your calculator believes 2 + 2 = 4.
- Beliefs can be learned from experience.  A text compressor believes that 'q'
is followed by 'u'.
- Beliefs can be communicated.  You believe the world is round because
somebody told you.

The answer depends on how your AGI is programmed to resolve conflicting
evidence.  On the one hand, humans believe in consciousness and have
communicated this to the AGI.  On the other, the AGI observes that it can do
everything a human mind can do, and yet it is running a deterministic program
whose outputs depend only on the program and its inputs.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]