On 05/06/07, Ricardo Barreira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/5/07, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 04/06/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Suppose you build a human level AGI, and argue
> > that it is not autonomous no matter what it does, because it is
> > deterministically executing a program.
> >

> I suspect an AGI that executes one fixed unchangeable program is not
> physically possible.

What do you mean by "one fixed unchangeable program"? That seems
nonsense to me... There's no necessary distinction between a program
and its data, so that concept is useless.

A function in the mathematical sense is a fixed unchangeable program.
Though I'd agree that there is no distinction between program and
data. I may have got interpreted the sentence incorrectly but the
implication I got was that because a human supplied the program that
the computer ran to be intelligent, the computer was not autonomous.
Now as you have pointed out data can seen as a program, and an
intelligent system is sure to have acquired its own data, what
determines its behaviour and learning is not fully specified by
humans, therefore it can be considered autonomous to some degree.

If, however, he was referring to questions of autonomity based upon
how autonomous systems cannot be made out of pieces that unthinkingly
following rules, then humans to the best of our understanding would
not be autonomous by this standard. So this meaning of autonomous is
useless, which is why I assumed he meant the initial meaning.

I would also go further than that and say that a system that can't
treat what determines its external behaviour and how it learns as
data, does not seem to be a good candidate for an intelligent system.
Because surely one of the pillars of intelligence is self-control. We
have examples of systems that are pretty good at self-control in
modern PCs, however they are not suited to self-experimentation in the
methods of control.

 Will Pearson