On 6/4/07, Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A)
make the AGI codebase itself open-source, but using a license other than
GPL, which
-- makes the source open
-- makes the source free for noncommercial use
-- gives the rights to control commercialization of the codebase to the
nonprofit XYZ Corporation [including derived works of the codebase]

B)
The nonprofit XYZ Corporation would
-- have the goal of giving rights to others to use the AGI code
commercially
-- have the policy of preferentially giving these rights to those who have
contributed to the codebase
-- not give long-term domain-specific exclusive rights to anyone
(short-term domain-specific exclusive rights, might make sense..)
-- charge some license fee for those who want to commercialize the
codebase,
which would fund its operations and also potentially fund work on the AGI
codebase

[...]
Alternatively, XYZ could be a for-profit as well.  But my feeling is that
this would be worse psychologically, and more opposed to the OSS spirit.
With XYZ as a nonprofit, contributors to the OSS AGI codebase don't have the
feeling that they're coding for free, but for someone else's benefit.  The
benefit goes to anyone who wants to do a spinoff of the AGI codebase, and
then some of the profit from this spinoff (if any) goes back to get more AGI
work done.

The problem is that I still want to get rich, and to make XYZ a non-profit
would be dishonest and may result in some awkward contradictions later.
(Unless my personality changes... which is also possible).

I think people who are motivated by $$ tend to work harder and are more
goal-oriented, and so they're more likely to produce a  *higher*
-quality AGI.

Which is a bigger motivator -- charity/altruism, or $$?   For me it's $$,
and charity is of lower priority.  And let's not forget that self-interested
individuals in a free market can bring about progress, at least according to
Adam Smith.

Thanks a lot for your advice though, I'll think about it more... =)
YKY