YKY,

Which is a bigger motivator -- charity/altruism, or $$?   For me it's $$,
and charity is of lower priority.  And let's not forget that self-interested
individuals in a free market can bring about progress, at least according to
Adam Smith.

A suggestion, if you really are motivated by $$ and getting rich, why
not focus on other much easier problems that will still potentially
make you bucket-loads money?

Contra to you, I wanted to spend time on AGI, but wasn't motivated by
money. However, the easiest path I can foresee, where I'm able to work
on AGI, is to make money through one of several business ideas, or
just earn large amounts of cash for a global consultancy firm. Once I
have enough to either: spend several years working voluntarily on an
AGI project, or have enough to assist in funding one (possibly
Novamente, since I spent some time playing with it for a grad project
and generally agree with the direction Ben's been taking it); then
I'll change on to the track I really want to be on.

Joel