Joshua Fox wrote:
Josh,

Your point about layering makes perfect sense.

I just ordered your book, but, impatient as I am, could I ask a question about this, though I've asked a similar question before: Why have not the elite of intelligent and open-minded leading AI researchers not attempted a multi-layered approach?

"Elite"? There is no governing scientific authority until someone actually builds an AI.

It's good for a layperson to try to defer to a more knowledgeable scientific authority when possible, but still, no more than that authority has earned. In this case, the present cream of the crop doesn't know how to build AI - they know a hell of a lot but not *that* much. Just because an authority knows more AI than you do, doesn't mean that their mastery is so great that you should be astonished at the proposition that they have gotten something wrong. If they'd built an AI, yes, but they haven't. There is no established scientific theory, you can't defer to it.

"But... if that's a good idea, why hasn't someone else tried it?" is sheer inertia. Grit in the gears of science. Cognitive mud. There is no herd yet, stop trying to join it.